Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Worship and our Christian Life

When we worship God, we probably don’t usually talk about worship. We just do it. And mostly that’s right. Some times, though, it's helpful to talk about things, in order to enter them more fully, do them more actively. So, last Sunday, when we worshiped with the Mukachevo CRC, there wasn't one sermon, but 6 of them. But they were short ones! Before each act of worship, I briefly preached about it, how it is part of the picture of our life with God. I preached before God's Greeting, the Confession, the Word, Intercessory Prayer, the Offering, and the Blessing.

Today is Wednesday. Greg's birthday! So clearly this is the most important day of our time in Ukraine (said the good twin. Yes, the similarities between Greg and I do not end with our faces. We look the same, joke the same, like liturgy the same, ... both of our wives are into boxing. Why, just this morning I put on socks and noticed that the brand is MacGREGor. I'm telling you, when I wake up I have to check whether I'm Greg or Dave.).

I have to share a couple of amusing comments from yesterday as we explored Kiev. In the centre of the city, all manner of things were on the already busy sidewalks, and I sarcastically said to George, "Why do they even bother making sidewalks?" To which he replied, "Where else would people park their cars?" Later, at a restaurant, Carrie asked George to ask the waitress what was in a certain dish on the menu. The waitress explained to George in Russian, and Carrie asked George, "So, what's in it?" George hesitated. Finally he said, "If I tell you what's in it, you won't want to order it."

Today, the conference begins. Please pray for us!

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment